Please also visit my website: http://www.sjwoodturn.weebly.com/. In the future there will be items there to purchase, or if you have a specific request, please feel free to contact me.




Tuesday, December 6, 2011

New Things

I have been quite busy for a few months.  My family is finally in a house (our first!), and I started Graduate School this fall (EMPA from BYU).  I've been able to produce a working prototype of a drum sander jig for my lathe.  I hold the drum with my chuck/jaws which seems to work well.  I turned and sanded the drum so that it was flush and parallel with the bed I made (piece of thick, flat, particle board hinged to a small 2x4 frame).  I staples a small strip of 80 grit sand paper around the drum to give it a test and put a couple pieces of wood through to test, it seemed to work quite well.  I have a lot I want to do to perfect the jig, but for now it works for what I need.  I started a new inside-out turned ornament yesterday which it was nice to have my drum sander to make sure my pieces were all uniform in size.  Pictures are to come (I promise).

No comments: